Sverre Indris Joner CV
Born 19 july 1963 in Oslo, Norway. Grew up on Nesttun (Bergen), close to Edvard Griegs home “Trollhaugen” (no connection though, but still…) and on Bøler in Oslo. His musical career started playing ukulele at the age of 5, piano at the age 13 and percussion at the age 17.
- Music studies at the University of Oslo 82 – 84.
- Course in Filmmusic-composition w/Olav Anton Thommesen.
- Studies in afro-cuban percussion at the Concervatorio Cervantez i Havanna, Cuba.
- Studies of Media & Communication, University of Oslo 1989.
- Courses in sound-engineering and sound-related work on film by Tom Sassebo and Magne Mikkelsen at the State Institute for film, Oslo (Statens studiesenter for Film).
- Courses in computer-music at Institute for acoustics, music and technology, Oslo (NoTAM) 1994-03.
- Private lessons in orchestration with Ragnar Søderlind, Oslo.
Compositions (Excerpts. also see Records/CDs)
- Mil Vias – string serenade for the Chamber Orchestra Oslo Camerata 2012.
- Reinterpretations of Monteverdi for saxophone-quartet, tango-quartet and tango-singer for the festival oModernt in Stockholm 2012.
- Four pieces for DNBE windensemble and tango quartet – ”Retrolonga, Candonga, Lejania, Agua mansa” oct. 2011.
- Composed the whole repertoir for CD “Adrenalina” for Electrocutango released 2011.
- Dance-performance & concert with experimental tango with Pablo Veron. Work in process.
- Piece for Violin and Guitar commisioned by the A Corda duo. 2011.
- Piece for Harp and Bandoneon commisioned by the Rokseth siblings. nov 2009.
- Concerto Grosso for tango-quartet and orchestra. First performed with Kristiansand Symphony Orchestra under Rolf Gupta 12. of March 2009.
- Vino y se fue – contemporary tango commisioned by Tangueros del Norte. Recorded on their first CD “Inspiracion”. Dec. 2008.
- Valserita for Cello & Piano. 2008.
- Composed the whole repertoir for CD “Felino” for Electrocutango.
- “Dysfunctional dancemusic for unemployed academics” for cello & piano. Commissioned by Øystein Birkeland (2005).
- «Tangere humanum est» commissioned by Rikskonsertene for the norwegian trio Poing and 2 additional musicians from Estonia (2002.)
- Mi viejo Dolor for symphony orchestra. First performed by Trondheim Symphony Orchestra 2001. Direction: Christian Eggen. Revised edition for quartet and symphony orchestra first performed by Deutsche Kammer-Philharmonie in Bremen under direction of Josep Pons.
- «The eternal overtaking» (Den evige forbikjøring) commissioned by Danish Saxophone Quartet with 2 percussionists. First performed at renowned art gallery Louisiana outside Copenhagen, Danmark 2000.
- “Oviedo sin miedo” for big band first performed by The Norwegian Wind Ensemble in Halden.
- “Que salgan del lio” composed/arranged for Juan José Mosalinis tango orquesta tipica, Paris.
- “Camilón” og “Mambo para Perez Troika” composed for big band Oslo Groovekompani 1993.
- Chamber trio work for piano, clarinet and flute – «Trio del ritmo». Commissioned by Finnmark Fylkeskommune, Musikktjenesten (1998).
- 5 songs for lyric soprano and accordeon. To with texts by Halfdan Rassmussen. First performed in NRK, radio, by Liv Tandberg and Erik Bergene 1994.
- 4 miniature songs with texts by Poul Sørensen for mixed choir (SATB) 1988.
- Etude for for 3 percussionists. Commissioned by Rob Waring for percussion students at Nowegian State Academy of Music(1996).
- Clasicos a lo cubano DVD/CD with Hovedøen Social Club & KORK playing arrangements is salsa style of masterpieces from classical repertoir released by Sony Entertainment Mexico, may 2011.
- Orginal compositions for Electrocutango´s second CD Adrenalina 2011. Released in Buenos Aires by Random Records. On iTunes autumn 2011.
- Arranged/co-produced CD for Hanne Tveter Cruxando Fronteraz 2010.
- Produced CD with arrangements for Bodø Sinfonietta & Terje Nilsen 2010.
- CD (#2) with “Hovedøen Social Club” – ¡Ay Caramba!. April 2009.
- CD with “Hovedøen Social Club” – Que viva Noruega! . Innovative cubanized versions of old norwegian popular songs. May 2008.
- Orginal compositions for electronica-tango CD “Felino”: under the artist-name Electrocutango . 2004.
- Composed and produced CD Bongofeber (worldmusic/hiphop) competing in the final of FFBL (aka NKAF)s «competition for best children music on CD», 2000. Released in conjunction with theatre-piece «Joner&Joner&Joner» Farmen Records 2000.
- Orginal compositions and arrangements for Tango for 3´s 3 Award-nominated (Spellemannpris) CD´s Tango for 3, Soledad and ¿Tango? (The first recorded with bandoneon virituoso Juan Jose Mosalini, the two next with «Gidon Kremers favorite bandoneonist» Per Arne Glorvigen).
- Original compostiones for CD with the salsa-ochestra La Descarga , Farmen Records 1999.
- Co-composed. co- arranged og co-produced record with the pioneer world-music group ”Fra Ola Narr” on Heilo Records 1988.
- Arranged, produced and composed/co-composed music for Elsa Kvammes CD Tango midt på natten MUDI 1993.
- 3 arrangements of tangos for windensemble “B3” in Bergen 2012.
- Symphonic version of Clash´“Guns of Brixton” for KORK during the summer-olympics in Londoin 2012.
- Full repertoir for the symphonic band DNBE for tango-concerts with Tango for 3 in 2011.
- 3 arrangements for Kristiansand Symphony Orchestra for crossover project “Fremtiden er uhørt” 2010 & 2011.
- 8 symphonic arrangements of the repertoir of Hovedøen Social Club oct. 2009. Performed on television with The Norwegian broadcasting Orchestra KORK.
- 3 arrangements of argentine tangos for the Engegård string-quartet oct. 2009.
- 3 arrangements for double-bass and violin commisioned by Atle Sponberg and Knut Erik Sundquist. March 2009.
- 12 new “cubanized” arrangements of norwegian popular tunes for the 2. CD of Hovedøen Social Club – “¡Ay Caramba!” april 2009.
- Mamboversion of Prince`s (or the artist formerly known as Prince) Kiss
- Norwegian folk-tune “Fanteguten” arranged as salsa for female vocal-quintet Pitsj . Jan 2009.
- 13 arrangements of (mainly) Piazzolla for chamber-orchestra commisioned by The Norwegian Chamber Orchestra w/ soloists. May 2008.
- 9 “cubanized” arrangements of norwegian popular tunes for the 1. CD of Hovedøen Social Club – ¡Que viva noruega!
- 4 arrangements for chamber-orchestra commisioned by Musikk i Nordland (2006).
- Arrangements for symphonic band of 3 old cuban standards commisioned by DNBE – Det Norske Blåseensemble in Halden, Norway (2006).
- An arrangement of Mahler 1. symphony (in 7/8!) for the jazz trio Klazzbrothers and Dresdner Symphonic Orchestra (2006).
- Arrangements of several pieces from “Maria de Buenos Aires” by Piazzolla for Per Arne Glorvigen and Leipziger Streich-quartet /Vertavo string quartet (2005).
- A humourus arrangement for 9 double-reed instruments (oboe, oboe d´amore, english horn, heckelphone, bassoon, contrabassoon) with the title “Le Masacre du cor anglais” with highlights (and downlights…) from the classical orchestra litterature (2004).
- 9 arrangements/orchestrations of classic themes played in concert by Dresden Philharmonic Orchestra (Dresden) and recorded for Sony Classic by Munchner Rundfunk Orchestra (Bayerische Rundfunk) and Klazz Brothers/Cuba Percussion. Munchen (2004). Symphonic Salsa
- 3 arrangements for cello, piano and bandoneon commissioned by Kirkelig Kulturverksted recorded by Åge Kvalbein. (2005).
- 2 arrangements for string-quartet and bandoneon commissioned by Alban Berg Quartet and Per Arne Glorvigen, Vienna, Austria (2003).
- Orchestrations of 5 songs for Kristiansand Symphony Orchestra and Kristiansand String Swing Ensemble (2003).
- 2 arrangements for Herborg Kråkevik of melodies sung by Edith Piaf. Released on the CD “Eg og Edith”. Also used in the theatre-performance by same name, directed by Per-Olav Sørensen.
- Orchestrations of the whole repertoir in 2 TV-productions of the Norwegian Broadcasting Orchestra (Kringkastingorkestret) – all latin american music – NRK 2002.
- Orchestrations of 4 latin american pieces for the Bergen Philharmonic Orchestra 2001.
- Orchestrations of 5 tangoes for the Oslo Philharmonic Orchestra 1999 (“Symfonic tango”) for a collaboration with tangodancer Pablo Verón.
- Various commissioned arrangements for Norwegian Concert Institute (Rikskonsertene) for different settings (mixed choir and tango quartet, piano-quintet [oboe, cello, soprano, piano and bandoneon], duo marimba/flute etc.).
- Arrangements for the string-quartet “Strings Unlimited”(Oslo).
- Arrangements for Sosialistisk Kor (choir) in Oslo.
- 2 horn-arrangements for the CD of Jørn Hoels “Soulsville” (1996).
- 2 arrangements for tango-quartet of pieces by Grieg commissioned by NRK, TV for the Grieg-anniversary.
- Arrangement of “Patchoulie” by Astor Piazzolla for violin and piano commissioned by Helge Kjekshus.
- A somewhat gentle man (En ganske snill mann) Directed by Hans Petter Moland 2010. Arranged the main-theme in salsa, based on Tchaikovskys Sugar plum fairy as performed by Munchner Rundfunk Orchestra and KORK.
- Mennesker i solen feature film directed by Per-Olav Sørensen. Scored the opening-sequense.
- Scars (Glasskår). Directed by Lars Berg. Produced by Chinematograph (Oslo) 2002. Award-winner on festivals in Berlin, Haugesund, Montevideo and Chicago.
- Sofies world (Sofies verden). Directed by Erik Gustavson. NRK Drama 1999. Composed the ending-sequence.
- “The prince of chess” (Prinsen av sjakk). Documentary directed by Øyvind Asbjørnsen 2005.
- “Neighbour” (Nabo). Short film directed by Lars Berg 2000.
- “A devil in the closet” (En djevel i skapet). Short film directed by Lars Berg 1998. (Award winner for best Children Short in Berlin Film Festival).
- “Welcome” (Velkommen). Short film 1998, Directed by Aamund Johannessen, Sisyfos Prod. Nominated for the Amanda Film Award (Norway)1998.
- “From Bærum to Bangladesh”. (Fra Bærum til Bangladesh) Documentary directed by Anne Berit Vestby 1997.
- *“Sparkling Green” (Grønn Glitter) * Short film directed by Kristin Hauksdottir 1996.
- “Fish & Microchips” (Fisk & Microchips). Short film directed by Lars Tømmerbakke, Studio Magica 1996.
- “The invisible book” (Den usynlige boken). Short film produced by Sverre Pedersen, Studio Oslo 1986.
- Music for various commercials by Easy Film (Copenhagen), Northern Lights, Moland Film, Cylinder, Lighthouse and eMotion (Oslo) 1994-07.
- Intro music and jingles for 3 productions in Norwegian Broadcasting Company, (NRK) both in radio and TV for programs “Wok”, «Medienytt» and «Kulturekko».
- Composed/co-written musictheatre-piece commisioned by Bodø Sinfonietta in collaboration with Johannes Joner and Kristoffer Joner (For the theatre-group “Joner & Joner & Joner”). Premiere in Bodø cultural house nov 2007.
- Composed music for dance-theatre by Kjersti Alveberg “@lice”. Tour in Norway spring 2008.
- Composed electronicatango music for “Tanghost”: http://www.tanghost.com/ – an interpretation of Ibsens “Ghost” by Per-Olav Sørensen. Performed on an international tour 2004.
- Arranged and co-arranged music for Tango for 3´s acclaimed show «Tangotanko» performed at Scene West, Oslo 1999.
- Music and lyrics for the childrens-play «Joner&Joner&Joner» performed at Oslo Nye Teater and Chat Noir 2000.
- Music for the play «Mater Nexus» by Lene Therese Teigen, House of stories, Oslo. Performed at Det Åpne Teater, Oslo 2001.
- Arranged music for Mari Maurstads show «Det glade mariritt» Scene West, Oslo 2001.
- Played as part of a duo doing the music at The National theatre on “The Three Penny Opera” by Brecht, directed by Svein Sturla Hugnes.
- Music for tango-trio for theatre-piece “Blåveispiken” by Elsa Kvammes Teater. Performed at Det Norske Teater 1992 and Riksteateret 1993.
- Tour with Hovedøen Social Club in 12 theatres in Norway. Spring 2009.
- Concerts with Electrocutango in Norway, Sweden, Denmark, Germany, France, Italy, England.
- Soloist with Kristiansand Symphony Orchestra & Tango for 3. Among the repertoir was the premiere of own orchestral composition “Concerto Grosso”. March 2009.
- Artist-in-recidence with Tango for 3 in BBC Radio with BBC Symphony Orchestra.
- Tour with dance-theatre by Kjersti Alveberg “@lice”. Spring 2008.
- Tour with chamberensemble + singer Julia Zenko and narrator/librettist Horacio Ferrer doing Maria de Buenos Aires of Astor Piazzolla. 2007.
- Concert in Edvard Griegs livingroom in “Troldhaugen” with Tango for 3, playing on Griegs grand-piano!
- Playing Piazzollas opera “Maria de Buenos Aires” at Komische Oper in Berlin (2006 & 2007).
- Tour with tango-singer Julia Zenko (Buenos Aires) in Holland and Norway (2004).
- Soloist with Oslo Philharmonic Orchestra , Trondheim Symphony Orchestra , Stavanger Symphony Orchestra, Norwegian Broadcasting Orchestra, Kristiansand Symphony Orchestra (Norway), Värmland Symfonietta (Karlstad), Umeå Opera-orchestra, Gothemburg Symphony Orchestra (Sweden), Deutsche KammerPhilharmonie – Bremen, Dresden Symphony Orchestra and Westfalen New Philharmonic Orchestra, Komische Oper Orchestra, Berlin (Germany).
- Performances with“Tango for 3” in Buenos Aires, Cordoba and Rosario (Argentina), Sevilla (Spain), Paris and Gennevilliers (France), Deventer and Amsterdam, Concertgebouw (Holland), Munich, Berlin, Bremen, Dresden, Rechklinghausen, (Germany) Stockholm, Malmoe, Gothembourg, Visby, Falun, (Sweden) Copenhagen (Denmark), Ikaalinen (Finland) and several tours in Norway…
- Major festival-performances directing the salsa-band “La Descarga” in Finland, Sweden and Norway. Jyväskylä Summer Jazz,, Hesperia Winter Carnival (Helsinki, Finland). Norrsken (Falun), La Isla salsakrysning (Stockholm, Sweden) Kongsberg Jazz Festival, Molde Jazz Festival (Norway).
- More than 1000 concerts for Rikskonsertene in schools all over Norway.
- Directing orchestra in concerts with singer Jose Mejia Godoy from Nicaragua.
- Given the title “Academic” of Academia Nacional del Tango de Argentina by Horacio Ferrer april 2011.
- The EDVARD-award 2005 for best music for other artform (for the theatre-piece Tanghost) by TONO (Norwegian Composers Copyright Bureau).
- The Kardemomme-award 2001 by NOPA (Norwegian Popular Composers Union).
- All 3 CDs by Tango for 3 nominated for the “Spellemannprisen” (Norwegian Grammy-award).